Hello Community! Here is a quick update on the various cloud images we have available as it's one of the top things we're asked about. The good news is we now have 150002657% more COW! That's right! We now have generic cloud images (cloud-init/qcow) available for your clouding adventures.
Your one stop shop for all cloud images, sources and scripts is https://github.com/AlmaLinux/cloud-images. We keep that pretty updated and there is a table right at the top with quick links to all of items listed below. Here's a quick summary of what we have and where, right now.
- Generic Cloud Images (cloud-init): One of the most highly requested. All generic cloud images are available in QCOW format on the mirrors and from the main repo: https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/8/cloud/x86_64/images/. The username is "almalinux". We've done quite a bit of testing here to ensure that you have a great experience with this. We know that there lots of different cloud configs out there and we'd like to make sure we cover any possible edge cases. So, if you are a hosting company and would like to help sponsor testing infrastructure for cloud-init images please reach out to us on the AlmaLinux Community Chat.
- LXC/LXD: Our official LXC and LXD container images are now available as well for x86_64 and aarch64 as well. You can check out any of the public image servers (https://images.linuxcontainers.org) for more information. Special shout out to community members Security Team Lead Justin Coffman (https://github.com/jcoffm) for the initial patch to Distrobuilder, the amazing Elkhan Mammadli (https://github.com/LKHN) as well for all his efforts, and to all the community members who helped out with testing.
- Official Docker Images: You can find the official Docker image for AlmaLinux on Docker Hub. The kind folks over at docker were nice enough to save you a few keystrokes too, so just
docker pull almalinuxand you're good to go.
- Quay.io: If quay is your thing, we've got you covered. Check out https://quay.io/repository/almalinux/almalinux.
- Vagrant: Vagrant boxes are available with support for VirtualBox, VMWare, Hyper-V and Libvirt. Check out https://app.vagrantup.com/almalinux and
vagrant init almalinux/8and
vagrant upyour way to some good times. We're also looking for someone who would like to help implement a Parallels provider for Vagrant as well. If you'd like to help please reach out to us on the AlmaLinux Community Chat.
- AWS: Thanks to our awesome Sponsors at Amazon Web Services we have both AWS Marketplace and Community AMIs available. Check out that last link to the AWS page on our wiki for a listing of all Community AMI IDs for reach region. AARCH64/Graviton Images are coming soon as well, so bookmark that page and make sure you follow us for the latest updates.
- Google Cloud: Last but certainly not least, Google Cloud images are now available as well. All the info you need is right here: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/images#almalinux
There's more to come. Join Us!
AlmaLinux is more than just software, there's a whole community of dedicated people making the magic happen. None of this would be possible without our AWESOME community. Join us on our AlmaLinux Community Chat, sponsored by our good friends at Mattermost, to get involved, ask for help or just meet fellow community members. Send us your Pull Requests on GitHub. Report any bugs that you might stumble upon on the Bug Tracker. You can also ask a question on our Cloud SIG Forum or post something on our AlmaLinux Community on Reddit.